21 October 2021

Thank You Mr. Shatner

 

I love the moon and the stars and the heavens above. For years I dreamed of being an interstellar traveler. I knew that true space exploration would occur well past my expiration date, but it did not matter. I devoured science fiction books to experience extraterrestrial flight and life on other worlds. When Star Trek rolled onto the evening television screens, I was their number one fan. Suddenly, my imagination had been realized on a weekly series that transported me to all those places I would never be able to visit.

Thus, it was extremely fitting when Captain Kirk, yet again, spoke to me over the communication device and opened my mind to a concept that I had never once considered.

William Shatner stepped off the Blue Origin, and wisdom flowed from this lips. We all assume that flying beyond the stratosphere will be quite a mind altering experience. However, I never once considered that the words of an astronaut would so deeply touch my being.

Mr. Shatner spoke of the profound effect of travelling between the blue of earth and the darkness of space. As he continued to speak, I felt dumbfounded. I have always known that we have blue skies. I have always known that space is black. But I had never once considered that one goes from blue to black in an instant, and the sheer magnitude of that effect on one’s soul. Once again, I was at one with Captain Kirk.

Thank you Mr. Shatner for taking me where man has gone before, but where no man has ever expressed it more eloquently.

My little bit of Science Fiction: Travels to the 14th Galaxy