09 April 2020

Tofu!

Cedar Waxwings in the Cedar
It has been a month since I have been able to buy tofu...or maybe only three weeks. Lately, the days all seem to run together. However long it's been, I am thrilled.

Week one of lockdown I was only able to buy three cans of beans and a dozen eggs from 7-11.  The following week I managed to score the last whole chicken at Safeway. Then today, not only did Trader Joe's have tofu, but also tortillas. 

Forget hand sanitizer, bleach, alcohol, (not the drinking type), Lysol, or anything else one is supposed to use to kill the germs. Shameless hoarders.

Mostly, it's nice to get out and stand in line, six feet apart, from other early morning shoppers. We still manage to converse and share tales of the supply wars. 

Inside the shops, I make sure to thank all the workers doing a job that has to be wearing on mind and body. I would always do this, but especially now when those checkers and shelvers tell me tales of customers who yell at them for not having a product available. They seem to be verbally abused on a daily basis. Here in the Land of Peace and Love, I find that quite disturbing. This morning, I witnessed a bit of that nastiness first hand.

A small group of about five people stood socially-distanced in front of CVS,
waiting for them to open at 9AM. Mostly 70+ year-old hippie types, so harmless enough. I turned when I heard one old gal scream at another old hipster to Get To the End of the Line! He returned with F*ck You! To which she yelled back F*ck You!    

Fortunelty, it was then that the doors opened. These two kept at it a while longer. I suppose they had forgotten their peace signs and ohm shirts at home.

Now, if only the sun will come out, it might just be a perfect day!