29 September 2020

Don't Assume You Know How I Think



My zip code does not define my world view, and certainly not my politics. Yet if one lives in the self-proclaimed Progressive Capitol of the World, the San Francisco Bay Area, people assume they know how the residents think.

Stand in line at the grocery store and the person in front of you will invariably turn around to make a disparaging remark about Trump. Conversations in front of Peet’s Coffee, (BLM posters plastered in the windows), often involve similar accusatory proclamations about the President. I could challenge their statements but there is no benefit. There is, in fact, possible retaliation.

Several months ago I received a call from a Nancy Pelosi campaign worker asking for donations to defeat Trump because of all the horrible things he has done. How did you get my number? I asked. The person said I must be on a list of democrats. I said I was not. He continued that it must have come from another concerned democrat who cared about the future of this country. At that point, I stated that if Nancy was so concerned about the country, why had she remained silent when they tore down statues in San Francisco? Where was her voice regarding all the violence and looting? I waited a second, got no reply, and hung up.

Last week I got a letter from Nancy’s office. Opening lines: Someone had to do it. Someone had to stand up to the bully in the White House…

Apparently, Nance thinks she is a hero and deserves your money for Standing up to Trump. She included a postcard of her having a tantrum when she stood up and pointed at him during a meeting a year ago. I believe that was right before she stormed out of said meeting like a petulant child.

The entire letter, filled with Democrat talking points, could be easily countered should any of the True Believers care to listen. Nancy continues on in her letter to say that, …Trump “cannot do Vladimir Putin’s bidding.” It would even be laughable were it not that most everyone in this town still believe Trump is an agent of the USSR.

Nancy goes on to bring up the ACA, gun control, the environment, women’s rights, tax cuts for the rich. Who honestly believes all her misrepresentations? To me, this is what is so shocking; in this university town, populated by Nobel Laureates and Intelligentsia, no one seeks the truth.

Possibly I am wrong. Possibly people here actually do the research to find out where the truth lies. But I doubt it. This has become a town full of lemmings. They drive cars, ride bikes, and walk in the park all masked up twenty-four hours a day. Businesses and schools remain closed after more than six months.  I can only conclude that their concept of self-determination got lost in a haze of weed and commune mentatlity. 

How I long for the days when one could debate topics that impact our society, a time when people accepted another’s point of view without screaming at them and calling them names. Regrettably, I am unable to envision a time in my life where I will ever be able to do this. At least not in Nancy Pelosi’s California.