12 August 2022

Edison and Ford Winter Estates

At last, I made it to the Thomas Edison & Heny Ford Winter Estates.  It's been many years since my last visit to the Ft Myers, FL. At the time, the Estates were closed.... or possibly we were short on time. Whatever the reason, I have longed to visit this venue ever since. 


Edison and Ford Winter Estates

A combination of homes, gardens, museum and laboratory makes for a wonderful outing. True, it was stinking hot and humid both days I was there, but there are places to cool off. Take for example that extra-wide, wrap-around porch that Edison had built. I sat on a bench, with nothing but the slight breeze in the air, and cooled down.  

Or I took a stroll in botanical research garden where the plants protected me from the heat. And if it really gets bad, one can pop into the air-conditioned gift shop and museum. 

I always love plants and gardens, but the high point for me was Edison's Laboratory. Over the years, I have seen photos of this lab. And now here it was, right before my eyes, looking exactly like the photos I had seen when Edison worked there. Nothing has been changed or moved. I stood and stared and breathed in the essence of this remarkable man. 

If I lived here, I would defiantly get the yearly pass. 

I was saddened to hear that the story of the 100-year-old lightbulb that is still in use in the lab is nothing more than urban legend. Darn. It was a good tale. Maybe I'll just keep telling it.