29 December 2022

Pele - O Rei

Pelé, the purveyor of O Jogo Bonito, (The Beautiful Game), has passed on.

Although I had yet to become a die-hard fan of futebol when I went to Brazil with the Peace Corps in 1977, even I had heard of this great player. 

Within a week of arriving at our PC training site in Lavras, Minas Gerais, I learned that O Rei, (the king), had been born and raised only an hour or two away in the town of Trés Corações. I no longer remember the exact reason I happened to go there one day, but I will never forget it.

This humble little town in the interior had built a statue of Edson Arantes do Nacimento, in the aptly named Praça Pelé. (Pele Plaza.) 

I have very few pictures of my time in the Peace Corps. Film and processing costs were very expensive, and all shots had to be rationed. I knew at the time that I wanted a picture of me in front of the legend that is Pelé.

Thanks to him, and all the Brazilian players and fans, by the time the 1978 World Cup came around I was thoroughly hooked on the game. And am until this day.

Pelé and this hometown will forever remain a cherished memory.